14 April 2014

Se fue el Crad

Crad Kilodney, 1948, Jamaica, N.Y. – 2014, Toronto

Lorette reports that Crad died this afternoon at a Toronto hospice. He hadn't been conscious for several days. He was in peace.

I published one poem by Crad, a few decades ago, as part of my Proper Tales Postcard series:

There'll be no more giant leeches
when you find the good lord Jesus.


That era in the 1980s, of selling my books in the street, left an indelible stamp on me as a writer. On reflection, what Crad taught me most was not to compromise in my writing. We would come only so far to readers, by putting signs around our necks and self-publishing chapbooks; from there, the readers would have to come to us.

Good night, Crad.

Over and out.

2 Comments:

At April 15, 2014 10:22 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard the news about Crad's death and wanted to offer condolences to friends and family.

He helped steer me toward self-publishing and for that I shall always be in his debt. We also share a healthy contempt for the publishing industry and its lackeys.

In an epoch of round, uniformly-sized holes, the world needs square pegs and Crad served that role admirably.

He will be missed.

 
At April 15, 2014 10:43 am , Blogger Richard said...

Thank you. A lot of us miss him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home