11 November 2006

(Communist) party time

Getting ready for today's workshop at This Ain't. I call it There's More To Memoir Than Truth. Always very anxious before presenting a new workshop for the first time. Will it be what the participants were expecting? Will they think they got their money's worth? Do I have enough material to fill the time? And then there's the impostor syndrome that strikes me. But people write good things in my workshops and they're happy afterwards and I never get around to all the material I've prepared. My job is to provide a time and space for them to write; give them new things to explore, things they wouldn't otherwise try out; be encouraging but not blindly so; impart whatever personal experience I can that might be helpful.

Today and tomorrow is the Toronto Small Press Book Fair, from 11 to 5 at the Victory Cafe. Curious to see how that works: haven't seen an awful lot of publicity for it. Then again, it's in such a small venue, it won't take many people to fill it up. Half the presses are displaying today, and the other half tomorrow. I've got a table for Sunday, but nothing new to sell. That's a first for me. Thinking of dragging out ancient Proper Tales Press stuff. And pushing Surreal Estate and Confessions. Main thing, really, is just to be there. Check out the tables, see old friends, meet some new people.

A bit more of a social week than I've had lately. On Monday, got together with Alice Burdick and her husband, Zane, who were passing through town for a few days, en route from out east to out west. Alice is an incredible writer and a fun person to hang out with. It was great to see them again here in Toronto.

Wednesday was the 40th anniversary party for This Magazine. I wasn't really in the party mood, but it turned out to be a real nice time. Dana came for the first couple of hours and enjoyed herself too. Big contingent there from my days at Eye: Jason, Bill, Mary, Tyler. Good to see Trevor from the Arrogant Worms again, and he told me all about the Toronto Writing Centre, this weird thing that I knew existed but that is not part of my world. The night was a good mix of young people out for a progressive cause, and then members of the old guard. Rick Salutin spoke, as did Mel Watkins.

The 40th anniversary issue itself is pretty damn good. I'm happy with the big lit section, which has stuff from Kevin Connolly, Atwood, John Degen, Lau, Bowering, me, Chris Chambers, Lillian Allen, Phil Hall, Sky Gilbert, RM Vaughn, a nice cross-section of past contributors. The newish editor, Jessica Johnston did a great job with the rest of the issue. The presence of Andrew Coyne must have a lotta people scratching their heads. Good long article by Salutin. Also nice overview of four decades' worth of protest songs.

Speaking of protest, the U.S. election was a relief. Hopefully those Dems won't be the wimps they say they're going to be. Hopefully they'll investigate, instigate, and impeach.

Shit, I gotta get back to work.

Over and out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home