16 August 2006

New workshops and Teeny Tiny

NEW WORKSHOPS

Alrighty. I'm teaching three workshops at This Ain't the Rosedale Library this fall. I'm doing the ever-popular Boot Camp, plus a workshop on publishing and one on (sort of) memoir. Very excited about the two new workshops.

You can read all about my workshops right over here.


TEENY TINY

A few weeks back, I got a very nice email from an American named Mandy Laughtland, who had stumbled upon my blog and wondered if I'd like a copy of her miniature lit mag. Gosh, this reminded me of the old Factsheet Five days. Been a while since someone has written me out of the blue like that to trade lit mags.

Anyway, just got Teeny Tiny today, with a neat postcard poem by Mandy. As promised, it's little. 8 pages, one sheet. A bunch of poems and a very very very short story. I like just about everything in it, but especially Mandy's "Random Entry from My Headache Diary," Harvey Goldner's "At the Puyallup Fair," and Emma Barnes' "sing a song of." Well, that's half the mag right there.

I just love this idea of a magazine you can read in about 5 minutes. A definite improvement over those brick-sized university mags. Reminds me of a magazine I saw many years ago: This Is Important. It was, like this one, about 8 pages, but it was designed to look like a religious pamphlet, so was ideal for leaving in phone booths or subway cars, ready to ambush unsuspecting civilians.

But since everything in my life transforms into an excuse for me to feel guilty, I'm suddenly panicked about getting out my next issue of Syd & Shirley (60 pages).

Over and out.

5 Comments:

At August 16, 2006 3:56 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

less brick, more levity. small is beautiful. subversive ambush. good advice all.

 
At August 16, 2006 10:21 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's been 2089 days

since dick cheney's last
heart attack

please send bacon

lots of it
fast as you can

 
At August 17, 2006 7:03 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's a little toronto zine called flack taht is one page folded with tiny type, you can find it around bookstores cafes and galleries. it claims to be the spirit of lola or something like that - it's quite nice!

there's something both precious and ephemeral about small zines!

what does dick cheney have to do with this post, i wonder/?

 
At August 17, 2006 10:56 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. the dick cheney pome/post was my feeble attempt at a small light subversive ambush webzine...maybe not precious but certainly ephemeral.

 
At August 18, 2006 11:31 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

rox, I think your poem is great.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home