04 July 2006

Editing and also editing

I'm immersed in the edit of a book about The Twilight Zone for ECW Press. Should have it done shortly. It's been a long time since I've edited a book for them. I love this thing of wading through hundreds of pages about a topic I know only peripherally. The guy who wrote this book -- his life must be The Twilight Zone.

The other editing I'm doing is very different: I'm reading all of David McFadden's books -- every poem in every one of them -- and putting together a Selected for Paul Vermeersch's imprint at Insomniac Press. What an honour to be invited to do that. Some of these poems of David's I haven't read in maybe 30 years. They were such a huge influence on me. David McFadden and Ron Padgett taught me so many similar things. This glorious editing task should last through the rest of the summer, and it's uplifting. David is as profound as he is a goofball.

Yeah, McFadden's my favourite Canadian poet. Send me 10 bucks and I'll send you the first issue of my mag Syd & Shirley (I swear, the second issue is coming out this year!), which features my interview with him, plus three of his wonderful poems.

Over and out.

5 Comments:

At July 06, 2006 8:54 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outside of the chair, the teapot is the most ubiquitous and important design element in the domestic environment and almost everyone who has tackled the world of design has ended up designing one.
-David McFadden

 
At July 07, 2006 11:10 am , Blogger Kate S. said...

A Selected Poems by David McFadden is an exciting prospect. I just read an essay on his work (in a 1978 Black Moss collection titled Brave New Wave that I recently picked up at a library book sale) that got me very curious about his early work.

 
At July 07, 2006 4:33 pm , Blogger Sully said...

I met David McFadden for the first time after the Coach House big anniversary party about a year ago.

He was very nice. Very humble.

There's this thing that people do at parties where when they're tired of talking to you, they say that they have to go to the bathroom, and then you wait and wait and eventually you get up to get another drink and you see them talking to someone else.

David McFadden got up to use the bathroom, said he would be right back, and was.

The man is super-talented and has integrity. What a great job you've got.

As for the Twilight Zone. Man, that TV series broke my brain and put it back together with nearly every episode. It's shaped my very nature. That series clarified for me what I always wanted to do with my art. Your two jobs right now BLOW MY FUCKING MIND.

 
At July 07, 2006 6:01 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi:

Great idea.

Hope to get the appropriate rights requests from you soon.

 
At July 08, 2006 7:24 pm , Blogger Weldon Gardner Hunter said...

McFadden effin' rules!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home